Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Father's Love

I guess if I had to choose one thing in my life that I absolutely could not do without, it would be my relationship with God.
I had a pretty "normal" childhood, growing up on a farm in southern Missouri and living the average life. I attended church on an irregular basis and never really gave God a serious thought.
Once I became a teenager, things began to change. Suddenly, what the Pastor was saying during church started to make since. I was fighting this "tug at my heart" to go down to the alter. I fought it as long as I could, then I went down and gave my life to Christ. That moment is something that can never be taken away from me. Do I know the exact date and time? No, but I definitely know where it happened and how my life was changed.
I never had a father growing up. I was raised by my mother and my grandparents. I always wanted to feel the love of my father. When I surrendered my life to Christ, I felt the Holy Spirit reach down and spiritually hug me. It was as if the Holy Spirit was saying to me, "Welcome home, my son". I'll never forget that day. I finally felt the love of my father.
Shortly after giving my life to Christ, I got the news that my natural father had passed away. I never had a relationship with him but I love him dearly. If I have a deep love for a natural father that I never knew, how much more is my love for a Heavenly Father that I know personally? My love for God is deep and I am grateful for the gift of salvation.
What did I do to deserve Jesus dying on the cross for my sin? Absolutely nothing, it was a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment